PROJECT WEEK INITIAL REFLECTION

Initially I didn’t have a specific group of people in mind for who I might want to go on project week with, but I ended up pairing up with a friend and finding another pair of friends that we also knew. Our group then had two new people added to it who either didn’t have groups or had to switch groups. It made the dynamic interesting because we had to start planning a trip together when some of us didn’t know each other that well. I think we all found the positives in not knowing each other too well because we were looking forward to creating new bonds. We really wanted to go somewhere that wasn’t too hot and our main choice would have been Australia, however when we asked about it we were told that this year we were unable to go to Australia. We were a bit disappointed in this but we all were quite interested in going to Taiwan. We agreed from the beginning that we were all quite keen on doing an ‘activity’ rather than a ‘service’ based PW so we decided quite quickly on hiking/trekking. I myself was quite keen to go to Bali to surf, however a few members of my group weren’t as interested in that so we compromised to something we knew we could all agree on. We haven’t really looked that much into the specific programs we could go with in Taiwan, but simply looked at some hikes which we all think look really nice. I’m a bit nervous about making sure the dynamic in the group works because I can see some potential personality clashes already, but I think it’s important to recognise that that’s natural to happen and we just have to work through it. I feel like one of my strengths is in planning and that I will be responsible for a lot of the planning because I also know that I like doing things myself and making sure I know what’s going on. However, I also need to make sure that I’m allowing everybody equal opportunities to plan and be involved with the planning. I’m excited to build new relationships and travel to a place I have never been to before!