What this lock-down has taught me about myself

Usually I have always been someone who kept to themselves. I liked to spend time indoors and just do things that I would want to do. I liked being independent because I got to choose what I wanted to do and when I wanted to do it. Although I definitely enjoyed being around others and talking to friends, I never saw it as an essential part of my lifestyle. With the lock-down essentially limiting interactions between people to close to zero, I have begun to realise the importance of interacting with friends and family. Although I have been keeping in touch with my friends through online mediums, over time I have started to realise that it can’t be a substitute for authentic face to face interaction.

Furthermore, I have begun to notice how much I actually miss the outdoors. When I think back to the days when I used to live in Japan, where the weather was significantly better, I’m a bit upset that I didn’t capitalise on this good weather and go on some walks a lot more (though I was quite young at the time). Now, even though the weather here in Singapore is quite monotone and a little inconvenient at times, I have still had the feeling of wanting to visit the outdoors to just be in the presence of nature.