Service Reflection 2

This service has made me realize that previously I was unaware of many of the problems in society. Being in Singapore we are living in a bubble where everything appears as perfection but there are things that we are not exposed to.  The last thing that I think should always be kept in mind is who is serving whom through the service. When sessions are properly organized, the children from the center can benefit greatly, from our facilities and our knowledge when we express enthusiasm.

On the other hand, they are doing a great service to us by providing us with an aspect of service and giving us a platform to examine alternative forms of education. That said, for service to work, it’s crucial that the people involved show enthusiasm to indicate that it is not merely a compulsory obligation. This service was a struggle at times, and it’s because of this that service was such a valuable experience for me. Particularly the experience of working with kids is one that I hadn’t had before, and I think a lot of what I’ve learned will be very applicable to other facets of life, as it already has been.”