Pottery – Reflection 2 (LO: 1)

LO: 1

This year of pottery has been an excellent activity that has exposed me to new experiences and allowed me to develop skills that I had not previously thought possible. When I first began the activity I was unsure of the challenges that I would face, however, I knew that these challenges would allow me to gain new skills through the struggles. Looking back on the year I find that there were many times when I had an ambitious idea for a project, yet lacked the necessary skills to execute on it. But it was through this lack of knowledge that I was able to reflect on myself and improve this weakness to work towards personal growth.

One such project was the construction of a pot with additional parts to it. I wanted to make a pot that had handles attached to it and other clay designs to the body of the pot. Initially, I was unsure of how I would attach the extra parts to the main body without having it break when going in the kiln. However, I learned of a skill called scoring that allowed extra pieces to be attached to a larger piece of clay without breaking in the kiln.

Going into the project I was aware of my weaknesses in pottery. Yet I was able to identify this weakness and work towards improving in through the process of this project. I believe that this project is a good representation of my approach towards pottery this year. While in the beginning, I was a bit unsure of my ability regarding pottery, I was able to properly identify my strengths and weaknesses which helped me work towards self-improvement and personal growth.