AMK Minds Progress Reflection

The local service that I am currently apart of is called AMK Minds. It is an organisation that works with mentally disabled people from ages 18 and above in order to not only support them but to also improve their long-term wellbeing.

LO6 Global Value

I chose to be apart of this service as I have not worked with people with mental illnesses before and I felt that by taking part in this service, I would have the opportunity to challenge myself in regards to my interaction with others and how I might choose to go about doing that. I am aware of the challenges that many come in this service as I think that no matter who you work with, it is important to cater our actions based on their needs. However, although we may hope to make a long-term significant impact, small changes and improvements in their daily lives would be a much more sustainable and successful goal.

LO7 Ethics

Throughout the course of my participation in this service, I hope to gain insightful knowledge about working with others and how I can critically think to generate activities that would be suit the client. Although our involvement in this service should be a rather selfless act, I do hope to gain some sense of fulfilment by the end, as knowing that I have made others feel slightly better even just for a day, does in fact make me feel somewhat contented.

The season has just begun and so we have actually not met with our service yet, as we are currently in the planning and preparation stage. However, we did meet with a couple of the organisation’s leaders in order to ask questions and learn about how we should approach the clients and any challenges that we could face. Our main aim is to get the clients engaged and active for the hour that they spend with us, and to ensure they are having fun and feel satisfied by the end of the session. In order to achieve this, we have planned several activities that we could run in order to keep them active but also to encourage interaction between both us, the service group, and them.