• How much as the environment influenced your views on gender and your own expression of gender?

In my opinion, the environment and society have had a big part on my views on gender and how I see gender. The people that you talk to and live with the impact the way you see your identity. As a child, I did do stereotypically ‘girly’ things like play with dolls but I also did ‘boy’ things like watch superhero movies and play soccer. When you are growing up, it is the people who you are around who shape my views on gender.

• How important is your gender to your identity? Why

For me, gender is quite important to my identity. Being a girl affects the way that I handle situations and also the way I think. It also impacts the clothes I wear and also sometimes how I talk to people.

• How has it shaped other aspects of your life?

In a way, it shapes how people see me. For example, a person’s first impression of me will always be that I am a girl. When I get a new card or passport, it will say that I am a girl. If I am supposed to be sorted into a girl/boy group, I will always be sorted into the girl group.

• What has influenced your perspectives about your gender?

Society, social media and celebrities have influenced the way that I see gender. Everyone has different views on gender and listening to all those different views has helped me shape my own view on gender.