Launching My Portfolio

Which of your courses could do the most to help you understand this (Self-Driving Cars) problem why?

This is an area that I got interested not too long ago, but this interest didn’t start just that. I’ve always been interested in helping with the environment and always felt passionate about being “green”, being sustainable. At first, you might think how has sustainability got anything to do with self-driving cars, but I’ll show you. You see, 2 summers ago, my family decided to try a Tesla (an electric car) and this amazed me. This is because a Tesla is so much better than an ICE car (Internal Combustion Engine), sustainably wise. An electric car is more efficient than a regular car and if you were to power the electricity from renewable sources then the car has zero emissions. In other words, Teslas have the potential to be the car of the future and the company advocate this idea a lot. When we were driving the Tesla, the car had a feature called autopilot in which the car could drive itself but was only limited to the highway. However, as of today, all new Tesla have full capabilities for fully self-driving. You should really go check out their site here because they are just amazing.

Anyways, I think that most subjects in one way or the other help me understand self-driving cars. For instance, mathematics can tell me how much safer a self-driving car is compared to an average driver. Science and DT can help me understand more about how a self-driving car works. But more importantly how English and the Humanities an help me understand more about the ethical dilemmas of self-driving cars. This is because being a good writer also means that you need to be a good thinker which means that there are many ways to interpret this and raise many different questions. For me, I think we do need self-driving cars because statistically speaking, there are much safer. However, when the car is faced with a problem, we have to accept a system of rules that prioritise certain things. To sum up, many subjects can help me understand self-driving cars, but in an ethical point of you, the Humanities and especially English can help us discuss what all of us think is morally right to us. Thank you for reading.

2 Replies to “Launching My Portfolio”

1. Great topic, nice writing style, and a really good start to your blog, Oscar…you present yourself well: intelligent, curious, conscientious. What are your thoughts about AI?

1. Just like my role model (Elon Musk), I think AI is both good and not good. I think to an extent, AI is a great thing such as for cars, games and maybe to some robots. However, I am scared of and worried about AI because there was this animation where AI was able to learn itself to walk. If AI was to be advanced far enough, AI might learn itself to do certain things and have some bad intentions. For that reason, I don’t necessarily agree with AI. AI is a very controversial topic, thanks for asking.