About Me (From A Different Perspective)

I don’t really know how to start this post so that is how I will start my post. There are a lot of things that I find interesting. For example, I am able to play lots of sports really well, such as rock climbing, tennis, football, skateboarding, gymnastics, basketball, wakeboarding, snowboarding, surfing, golf and much more. I am also very good at the cello and the piano. I have even played part in some drama productions and there are a lot more to tell you. However, to me, these are things that I think are fun and interesting, not particularly a passion. So, here is my passion:

Since Grade 1, I started to be very interested, even passionate in learning. I really found it fun to learn new things and I remember in Grade 2 when our class had watched a Brain Pop video, I got so fascinated about that so,  I watched every single video on that website. But also from that moment, I started to get really interested in Science, and at that time I thought I was going to be a writer or scientist. Later on, I got more interested in physics and in Grades 3 and 4 and even 6, I started to write a short story about topics that linked to physics. Even now, I am still interested in physics but in a different way (I’ll get to that later). However, that is only part of the story of my passion. I also started to get interested in being “green”, being sustainable and I think that’s why my favourite colour is green.

Between Grade 2 and 4, I was mainly looking at videos about sustainability but I was also implementing green tips that I had got from the videos into my daily life. But it was really in Middle School and in Grade 5 when I really started to take action. Beach clean up, gardening, working with environmental groups, meeting with Jane Goodall, starting an environmental focus group and much more. Two summers ago, my family and I rented a Tesla (an electric car)and I got really interested in that company because of the things they’re doing for the environment. Last summer I even made a tree house and tent out of just natural materials. Meaning, that I only used the things around me and I didn’t use any nails or screws, even wooden planks! As of today, I am aiming for zero waste (but it has been proven almost impossible here in Singapore) and we always use public transportation.

As you can see now, I am interested in both physics and the environment, but there is one more piece of the puzzle. I gave a hint from the last paragraph and that is design and building things. Ever since middle school I have enjoyed design and last year, I built a skateboard ramp for the school. I have also designed my room that allows more space in the room. So, that got me thinking, what do I want to do that involves the environment, physics and design? So whats the finished product? I think that in the future, I would most likely like to work in the field of sustainable architecture. That has science, maths, physics, sustainability and design.

The question is, why am I really passionate about sustainability and architecture? I love the natural world but I also like urban living, and I think that sustainable architecture can bring those things together so urban living lives in harmony with the natural world. So, that is what I am passionate about and that is what I would like you to know about me.