Judy's Portfolio

The Story of My Learning Starts Here…

What is peace and conflict?-IFP

What is PEACE building?

Peace building is the building of sustainable, positive peace and long-term conflict resolution. Peace builders need to understand the nature of the conflict…

In Tuesday’s meeting session, we looked at a conflict in Syria and analysed it in small groups. We followed the Galtung’s ABC Conflict Triangle: attitude, behaviour and context. This is what our group came out:-

From the Syrian video and the group discussion, I came up with 3 divisions ideas and a couple of principles statement for myself.

1. Uprising turns violent
  • Opposition supporters eventually took up arms, first to defend themselves to expel governmental security forces from their local areas. Initially, their original purpose was to defend themselves but sadly they ended up attacking & harming the innocents. The latter in response, also resorted to violence in the event to defend themselves. It forms a vicious cycle.

2. Decent into a civil war

• Violence escalates and pervades human mind. It then escalates and pervades the entire society and the people. It has the ability to act like a dangerous and contagious virus. When that happens, civil war breaks out and its nation forgets about her shared identity. I begin to wonder aloud:-
    • Does war bring out the worst in man?
    • What is man’s instinct? To kill in oder to defend and protect himself?
    • Is man’s DNA to be violent in times of war?
  • Whatever the answers are, these all shows the importance of PEACE building!

Indeed, as I see it, Conflict has the power to bring about Violence if handled poorly:(

Previous

My First Riding Experience

Next

UWC values & Social Identity Theory

1 Comment

1. baxi36727@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg

You stated what IFP was very clearly and concisely, making it easy for me to understand your intentions as an IFPer. I assume that from this post, you intend to head in a direction where you are able to view and evaluate different stand points on the issues you have raised.