Math Homework: week 1

1 Your name and previous mathematics experience (IGCSE, MYP, FIB, any other course)

Answer: My name is Aabha Hattangadi. I have previously done ICSE mathematics till grade 10 in Mumbai, India.

2 What might be some of the feelings that you associate with mathematics?

How do you feel about starting this course and why?

Answer: I previously had some difficulties in math but have been able to overcome them over the course of the last two years. As a subject, I have always found it challenging yet exciting. I am excited to start this course as the curriculum as well as the teaching methods seem different and interesting.

3 How do you like to learn mathematics?

Where would you put yourself on this continuum and why:

Answer: I think I would put myself in the middle of this continuum. This is because I like to first understand concepts thoroughly for which I may require some explanations. After i have learned the concepts and methods I enjoy solving sums by myself and trying to apply what I have learned.

4 What do you do when you are “stuck” in mathematics?

In your past experiences, how have you successfully overcome such misunderstandings?

Answer: When I am stuck in mathematics I first reread the concepts and examples given in the textbook. If after doing so I am still confused, I ask other students or my teacher for help. In the past, I have been able to overcome difficulties by doing this.

5 Which one of the following skills is your biggest strength in learning mathematics?

Which one might be the biggest area of focus for your mathematics in the first few weeks of Grade 11?

• A critical thinker
  • A problem solver
  • Inquiring/questioning
  • Creative
  • Innovative/Original
  • Imaginative
  • Curious
  • Interested
  • Adaptable
  • Persistent
  • A risk-taker
  • Collaborative
  • A leader
  • Organised
  • Flexible
  • A good communicator
  • A self-manager
  • Independent
  • Diligent
  • Organised
  • Responsible
  • Open minded
  • Optimistic
  • Confident
  • Self disciplined
  • Reflective

Answer: According to me, my biggest strength in mathematics is being persistent. If I am not able to successfully solve a problem I make several other attempts and if I still don’t understand I ask someone for help. This way I don’t leave any of my doubts unsolved  and I am able to understand the subject better.

My biggest area of focus for mathematics in the first few weeks would be to get organised so that I am not behind the class in anything.

6 Is there anything else you want your maths teachers to know about you?

Answer: I am a new student to this school. I have never used laptops or other technology before for this subject and thus may require some help. I enjoy solving challenging sums and I am extremely excited for math this year.