LO6: Engaging with issues of global importance

LO2: Undertaking new challenges

At the start of G11, another student and I co-founded a mathematics-based activity that aims to promote diversity in the field of maths. As co-chair, it was challenging to lead an entirely new group and form an outline of what we wanted to do for the upcoming year (LO2).

In CDM, our aim is to create an inclusive and encouraging platform for younger students who are still developing their passion for mathematic activities to explore and have the opportunity to build their confidence, initiate the development of skills, and expand their knowledge on the applications of math. We aim to invite role models in the mathematical community such as alumni, parents, and famous figures who can introduce and provide valuable insight to their applications of math to middle schoolers.

The members of the group all believe that the issue of the underrepresentation of minority groups is a  problem within math classes. Not just the problem with inequality in gender, but we also believe nationalities, age, prior experiences, etc all play a role in how people are treated inside a math class. For the members, we have all had our own experiences with feeling like we don’t belong and feeling underrepresented. For me, I wanted to start this activity as I began to notice the differences in attitude towards math in middle school. The students would start becoming separated by level and their math grades, determining what they were able to learn.

I believe it is a significant issue as there may be some students who do have an interest in the applications of maths, however, they are hesitant due to the image that is created of people who do maths. Additionally, we believe that in middle school, the syllabus does not cover the potential applications of maths that are used in real life. By introducing this, we hoped to motivate and excite the students about the possibilities of math beyond the syllabus.

On June 5th, we plan to hold a conference with guest speakers who will share their journey with diversity in the math class, as well as what their math-related work entails. This will require many new skills such as logistic and communication skills which will most likely be a large challenge (Lo2).