ENGLISH – Who gets to tell the story?

It’s quite subjective. If we think about it as a theoretical question such as “should a white man be able to write a story from the point of view of a black woman”, it feels like the majority of people would say no. Mainly because it could be inappropriate as this man doesn’t really have any experience of being a black woman. HOWEVER in a fictional book where we’re witnessing this, to me personally, it feels like it’s alright. I wouldn’t mind if someone would write from the perspective of other people. To be honest I kind of enjoy and I think that that’s the whole point of a book?

It also depends on the intent of the author and the reader. If the reader is looking for something truthful and factual, maybe it’s better to go the book whose author is a pro at that. It works the other way too. Authors can write for purely fictional reasons and have fun with creating characters (however stressful and brain racking it might be).

It depends. But I’d say it’s really okay for anyone to write about anything. It’s up to the readers whether they take it as the truth or not.