CAS – (Almost) 30 weeks in

Hi there! This reflection is a little overdue but I thought it would be better if I spread it out a little since my last one for LO1. After several weeks of doing service, Samba and boxing (I guess boxing coaching as well), it might be interesting to see if any of the strengths that I have have changed. For Samba if I’m being honest, I had a bit of commitment issue a few weeks ago but I managed to push myself to continue by reminding myself that I’m not going to have another opportunity like this in the future (unless I join a Samba band) so I should enjoy it while it lasts. Since then, I feel happier about going to Samba and having something to work on as a group. This isn’t really part of the LO1 guiding questions but we’re combining samba with When The Saints Go Marching In! It made me realise just how much I appreciate music 🙂

In terms of involvement and realising areas of strength and weakness, I think that for SustainaBrew, it’s going pretty well. It’s been running more smoothly with the grade 9s than it was with the grade 10’s, probably because now we have the momentum to keep going. I’d like to think that I’m doing pretty well and involving everyone in conversations and making sure no one’s lost and has something to do – in a good way and with fun work, I’m not torturing them with work. For an area of weakness, I haven’t done much on the technical side of things but maybe that’s not a bad thing because that’s generally the more enjoyable side of the service. I’d like to improve my communication skills with other services and help establish more relations with them so that we can make more drinks.

The last little thing I’d like to reflect on is what I think I could improve, specifically in boxing. Apart from technique work which is on Tuesdays, on Fridays when we coach I tend to let others lead the warmup while I immerse myself with the kids and work on their skills individually. This should be the next step for me as I don’t entirely feel comfortable with leading a warmup, mainly because I feel like I’m worse than the other (student) coaches. Despite this, hopefully, by the end of the year, I will have done it once.

Me and Sul <3

Posted in CAS